Bibliographic Control Committee
Chair: Kyla Jemison
for inquiries please contact 1st Vice President
- Kara Handren,
- Karen Jensen,
- Zack MacDonald,
- Misa Robins,
- Martin Chandler
- To encourage proper bibliographic control of cartographic material.
- A Standing Committee reporting to the Board of Directors through the First Vice-President.
- Established by resolution of the Association (18th Annual Business Meeting, 1984).
Full members in good standing as follows:
- One or more representatives of the Library and Archives Canada with expertise in bibliographic control of cartographic materials in Canada, including cataloguing and metadata
- One representative of the Canadian Committee on Cataloguing
- Official delegates from ACMLA to any international body on cataloguing cartographic materials
- One representative from the archival community of ACMLA
- At least two other members of the Association, not representative of the above groups
- President (or delegate) — ex officio member
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To identify and study issues involved in the bibliographic control of cartographic materials in Canada to ensure standardization and improved access through cataloguing and metadata.
- To inform and when appropriate, instruct, other members in the cartographic community on the proper use and interpretation of cataloguing rules and metadata for cartographic materials, including updates and changes.
- To liaise with the Library and Archives Canada, the Canadian Committee on Cataloguing, and other bodies/organizations who may be involved in the implementation of bibliographic control of cartographic materials or in the creation of metadata standards and descriptions.
- To promote the continued development of the national union catalogue and other national listings of cartographic materials in print and digital format.
- To meet regularly, in person or by electronic means, to discuss the above, ensuring that all interested members are aware of the activities of the Committee through wide distribution of the agenda(s) and annual report of the Committee.
*Revised May 2021
- ACMLA Recommended Best Practices in Citation of Cartographic Materials
- Map Cataloguing Survey 2004 Report
- Cataloguing Notes BCC (2003) (ACMLA Bulletin 116, Winter 2003)
- Digital Cartographic Material: Report on Cataloguing Workshop held in Edmonton, AB May 2000 (ACMLA Bulletin 110, Winter 2001)
- National Union Catalogue of Maps (ACMLA Bulletin 108, Spring/Summer 2000)
- Cataloguing Notes BCC (1999) (ACMLA Bulletin 104, Winter 1999)