Geospatial Data Access Committee
- Trudy Bodak,
- Ann Smith,
- Andrew Nicholson (ex-officio)
Terms of Reference:
- This ACMLA Committee is mandated to seek out, on behalf of Canadian post secondary
academic institutions, opportunities for access to significant, national-level Canadian and
global geospatial data resources. For significant data resources that are not free the
committee attempts to organize a partnering approach and negotiates for consortial license
agreements that offer acceptable conditions of use at reasonable cost. The committee is also
mandated to explore opportunities for access to significant GIS-related software of broad and
continuing interest to Canadian post secondary academic institutions.
- A Standing Committee reporting to the Board of Directors through the President.
- Established by resolution of the Association at the AGM, May 14, 2008, item 6.4.
- Open to ACMLA full members in good standing.
- ACMLA President (or delegate) is an ex officio member.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify and investigate geospatial data access opportunities with Canadian and global
data providers from various sectors: government, commercial, associational, and others.
- Initiate negotiations, whenever necessary, for ad hoc consortial access by Canadian post
secondary academic institutions to significant geospatial data resources and GIS-related
- Share in the maintenance of ACMLA's web-based inventory of significant Canadian geospatial
datasets by contributing information about datasets to which the committee has managed to
- In consultation with the ACMLA Board of Directors, assist in the search to find members
who are willing and qualified to represent ACMLA on national-level geospatial data access
working groups and advisory bodies such as, for example, the Depository Service Program
Library Advisory Committee.